Warham Reading Room

The Reading Room has been a strong presence in the village of Warham, Norfolk, since its opening in 1892. Its use had declined, particularly in recent years with the building requiring modernisation, but the improvements and extensions have revived its use to secure the buildings future.
Warham Reading Room

Funded by the Big Lottery Fund’s Reaching community’s programme, the restoration is sensitive to the existing building and palette of materials, complementing the existing hall but adding a flexible, functional and modern space. The use of timber, large sliding folding doors and a minimal profile canopy, open the extension up to the grounds to the rear.

A green roof has been added, not only for it’s environmental benefits, but to ensure neighbouring properties have a better view, than looking out onto a more traditional roof finish.

By opening up the main hall, the work creates a larger and warmer space, with better sanitary, kitchen and storage facilities and the ability to use the hall for larger groups and events or smaller meetings via existing openings into the extension this has been achieved, and the proposed kitchen is light and spacious with a connection to the hall spaces. Access and parking has also been improved with new paving and level access so the hall can be enjoyed by all.