Louise Hamilton Centre
- Sole Bay Health Centre
- Addenbrooke’s EVAR Theatres
- Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital MRI and CT
- Maudsley Hospital Dining Room
- Beccles Community Health Campus
- Addenbrooke’s Major Trauma Centre
- Shirley Oaks Hospital Ambulatory Care Unit
- Diagnostic and Treatment Centre
- Addenbrooke’s F3 Ward
- Cancer Centre London
- Southend University Hospital Bereavement Suite
- Addenbrooke’s Dementia Ward
- Central Norwich Eye Clinic
We needed to ensure that we were creating a welcoming, homely atmosphere that didn’t feel like a clinical, hospital-style environment. The project, funded entirely through donations, had a limited budget and we were determined to deliver exceptional value for money.
The design incorporates a series of treatment and multi-function rooms, surrounding a central organic social and living space. The central lounge area and adjacent garden room are wrapped by a dramatic curving wall which acknowledges the centres coastal location and the notion of an ark as a place of refuge.
Extensive use of glazing and roof lights allow the inside and outside spaces to flow and connect almost seamlessly. Consulting and counselling rooms and support spaces wrap around a central ‘heart’ space which in turn links to a private garden.
"You have opened, it is fair to say, to rave reviews."
"It is hard to comprehend that a building has such a profound effect on people that enter it. Patients experience peace and tranquillity; they are uplifted and calmed in an otherwise hostile situation. The building entices people to return and even causes them to smile. When a building does this for the vulnerable it is surely worthy of praise."